Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Kate Upton Incident

Scanning the web today, I saw a lot of articles regarding Kate Upton and how a particular website Skinny Gossip compared her to a cow.

First of all, I had to look up who Kate Upton was: she's a model/actress. (Just in case you wonder, she's in Tower Heist - awesome movie by the way - and The Three Stooges.)

Then I read the original article.

The author called this cannibalism. Excuse me, I think she is only eating a sandwich??


Then the author called Kate a "piggie" here. How does this constitute as being a piggie?? If by piggie you mean cute, then, um, okay, I guessss so. But no, not really.


You can read the rest of the article where she goes on to call Kate plus-size then proceed to get angry like I did. As a dietitian, I know there are lots and lots of personal ideas and beliefs about body size and body image. I have them myself. I don't want to attack on this author persay (although it would be interesting to peruse the "About Me" section where it's suspected that she is pro-anorexia) and I'm sure she doesn't need another virtual enemy after this escapade, but there is a line between where your own ideas belong and where you start calling people names. Granted, "weight" is a double-edged sword, and granted it is your own blog. But talking like that especially in the virtual world where everything is permanent and you can't take it back, in all honesty, makes you sound either jealous or ass-holey.

And Kate isn't even fat! I would love her body. Or okay, her boobs.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree! 她一點都不胖. The general public has such a skewed concept of acceptable body size nowadays. It's just really sad. =/ (It's panda btw~)

    ReplyDelete